Post-operational recovery from orthopedic surgery can be a long and difficult process. Pain, inflammation, muscle spasms, swelling, and more can all be common side effects for patients who go through the surgery. In recent years, more people have been turning to cannabis as a natural way to help manage these symptoms.
Cannabis has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries and it is now being explored as an alternative form of treatment for orthopedic surgery recovery. In this article, we’ll discuss the benefits of using it in your post-operative care plan.
From reducing inflammation to managing pain symptoms, here are some essential benefits of using cannabis for orthopedic surgery recovery.
What is Orthopedic Surgery?
Orthopedic surgery is a specialty of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of injuries, diseases and disorders of the musculoskeletal system. It focuses on the treatment of conditions that affect bones, joints, ligaments, tendons and muscles.
Orthopedic surgeons may specialize in one particular area or perform procedures for all areas of the musculoskeletal system. Common treatments include joint replacement surgery, spinal fusion surgery, tendon repair and arthroscopy.
What are the Benefits of Cannabis for Orthopedic Surgery Recovery?
There are a number of benefits that marijuana seeds can offer for those recovering from orthopedic surgery.
1. The plant has been shown to be effective in reducing pain and inflammation, as well as promoting healing and tissue regeneration.
2. Cannabis is also known to improve sleep quality, which can be helpful in the recovery process.
3. Additionally, the use of cannabis has been shown to reduce anxiety and depression, which are common side effects of surgery.
How to Use Cannabis for Orthopedic Surgery Recovery?
Cannabis has been shown to be effective in reducing inflammation and pain, two common issues associated with orthopedic surgery recovery. Anecdotal evidence also suggests that cannabis can help improve sleep quality, which is often disrupted following surgery.
There are a few different ways to use cannabis for orthopedic surgery recovery.
1. Vaporizing or smoking cannabis flower is one option. This method allows the patient to control their dosage and experience immediate relief from pain and inflammation.
2. Another option is to use cannabis-infused topicals. These products can be applied directly to the affected area, providing targeted relief from pain and inflammation. They are available in a variety of formulations, so it is important to choose one that contains ingredients that will not irritate the skin or cause other side effects.
3. Finally, some patients find that taking cannabis edibles helps them manage pain and inflammation during orthopedic surgery recovery. Edibles provide a longer-lasting effect than smoking or vaporizing, making them a good choice for those who need extended relief from discomfort.
It is important to start with a low dose when trying edibles, as it can take up to two hours to feel the full effects of the cannabinoids.
In conclusion, the use of cannabis for orthopedic surgery recovery has many potential benefits. It can reduce pain levels, accelerate tissue healing and regeneration, reduce inflammation and swelling, as well as improve overall well being.
Therefore, it is important to consider the merits of using cannabis-based therapy in combination with traditional treatments when recovering from an orthopedic injury or surgery.